Aside from some pretty baubles we bought on CB2 last year, we don’t have a lot of ornaments on our tree and that’s something I’m trying to work on. I want our tree to be a melting pot of memories as our family grows and one way I was able to do to that this year was by making a handprint ornament of Cache’s little fingers!
1 cup flour
7 tbsp water
1/4 cup salt
Drinking glass (for the shape)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, water and salt.
- Knead for 15 minutes using the dough hook on your mixer. Don’t skimp on this part. If you don’t knead for 15 minutes, it will be sticky and the handprint wont work. 10 minutes into it, I thought for sure this wasn’t working, but the more I mixed it, the less sticky it became. Hang in there!
- Roll out your dough to your desired thickness.
- Press child’s hands into dough.
- Poke the straw through the top.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 4 hours on 170 F.
- Allow ornament to cool. Ornament will get harder over the next few days as it hangs on the tree. Ours felt a tad spongy the day of, and a few days later, it’s hard as a brick (which is what I wanted!)
New mama, living a beautifully ordinary life in Seaside, Florida with my boys.